Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Change the way you understand memory, Read this book!

Joshua Foer trained for one year and became the U.S. memory champion. In this book, he details his year of training and some techniques of mnemonics, as well as why remembering things are important and how this idea fell out of favor in the educational system.

This may be the most interesting non-fiction I've ever read. Foer's descriptions of the characters he met along his journey, especially his coach, Ed Cooke, are so rich I feel like I know these fascinating individuals. Personally, I'm inspired. I don't think I'll ever become a card memorizer but I plan to investigate ways to use this in the classes I take and those I teach. It's a fantastic and relatively quick read and I highly recommend checking it out.


Check out Foer's own synopsis:

No comments:

Post a Comment